Disclaimer on all recipes

All recipes have been changed to have freezer cooking instructions, calorie count (according to MyFitness Pal recipe builder), and Weight Watcher Plus Point. If you feel you have seen a recipe somewhere else and I did not link to the original poster, please let me know. I have printed these off for personal use and don't always have the original creators info on my pages.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Green Monster


I am not one who believes eating healthy (or better) is more expensive than eating processed filler (middle aisle and fast food). It does take a bit more effort and doesn't always sound fun but it can be done rather cheaply by using up those fruits and veggies you buy. I take a poll of what 3 fruits and 3 veggies everyone wants to eat that week. I don't get 7 kinds of fruit or 1 veggie to last all week because a lot of it could (and has) ended up in the trash 6-7 days later. If some strawberries are starting to look mushy or carrots won't be eaten as soon as they should, I freeze it for use in something else. These smoothies always start with some frozen fruit that was on it's way out. Most of the time it is bananas and strawberries. They are a favorite at our house but don't always get consumed as quickly as they need to.

Start with 1 cup of frozen fruit (anything you like - blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple... anything)
add 1 cup Almond milk (get the kind that is 35-45 calories, I have purchased the 90 calorie stuff and it does not make a difference and you are consuming 3 times the calories!)

Blend smooth (I have a stick blender that I love but you can do it in a regular blender)

Add
1 TBSP of ground flax seed
1 TBSP of wheat germ
1 TBSP of chia seeds
and a scoop of protein powder (I do Weight Watchers Vanilla mix because it is lower in calories because it has less protein. Look for something between 80 - 120 calories)

Blend smooth

Add 3 handfuls of fresh spinach. I have used baby spinach and "adult" spinach and have noticed no difference. Baby spinach is usually easier to come by. I also look for it marked down, usually the organic stuff is $3-$4 and lasts me all week. I just transfer it into my own plastic container and look for wilted leaves. Our Kroger always has discounted veggies and fruits on Wednesdays or Thursday's and Meijer has stuff on occasion. Personally, in Michigan, I have found Wal-Mart produce to be lacking. I have tried many ones in different parts of the state and it seems it looks fine when I buy it but the next day it is already on it's way out.

Anyways.... Blend until it is all smooth an you have a "green monster" as the kids call it. My dad is my best endorsement for this because he HATES anything that is grown in the ground. I have made it a fun challenge to see if I can get him to try different things. I had him try it and he liked it (I did add some honey to give it a bit more sweet taste but I don't really need it now that I am eating better).

NOTE about links: I don't endorse the products on Amazon because I have not used them all. I do have that blender and those are the Chia Seeds I use because I could not find them here. I just wanted you to see what I was talking about. The flax, wheat germ and chia seeds are to help with vitamins, digestion and mood. I can tell you that on the digestion and mood I have noticed the effects for the good. It was one of those Dr. Oz things that I thought I would try (I don't really try a lot that I see his name on for no other reason than it is so much, but I saw those things in a magazine and thought it was worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment